Tuesday, June 19, 2012

(Still) Day 397: All-In


I just labored over a job application for (another) Best Coast gig. It's got all the keywords as far as ...

OK THAT WAS CRAZY. I HAVE GOOSEBUMPS...

Seconds after I started this post, the song "The Only Place" by Best Coast came on my iTunes. I just finished a major upload... there are more than 9,200 songs in the library. That this song came on is just... eerie.

Just a moment...

This is one of those moments when it feels like the universe is SCREAMING AT ME TO BELIEVE.

Sigh. I just want to be back out there so much. My first try just caved in for a lot of reasons. I made the choice and I can't second-guess it, because a lot of amazing things happened in the aftermath of that decision that improved my life in so many ways. But it's been almost 12 years now, I'm a totally different person and I'm ready to get back to where I once belonged.

CanNOT believe this song came on. I believe in kismet, I believe in signs. This sure seems like one. Wow.

***

Anyway what I was going to write here was that, this job, which is in the right place, is a good fit. Not perfect. If I was scoring the match, I'd say it's about 85 percent compatibility. That's pretty good, but I have some gaps in my experience that I can't make up for except with enthusiasm and desire.

So. This kind of went off-course, but my point was that when you really tailor an application to a specific job... and you definitely SHOULD for every prospect... it takes something out of you. I described this to M, and she said "It's like asking 20 girls to marry you."

That's some intense speed-dating!

But, a good analogy. Hopefully, if you're ready to get married, you're invested. You need to mean it. You need to be all-in.

So when I write a cover letter, tailored job app, etc., it can be draining. It saps you a little. Or a lot. So be cool with taking a break from it if you need to push the reset button. Walk away, get some air. Come back later and climb another mountain.

***

I think this is an idea I could expound upon but my mind is a little blown right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment