Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Day 28: Workin' it

I grinded it today. What's a little frustrating is that I feel like I should have more to show for it.

Applied for two jobs.

Obama For America is looking for a variety of campaign workers. Time flies: the 2012 election is a little more than 16 months away.

People want meaning in their lives, although some don’t recognize that until late in the game, and some recognize it and choose to take the easy path. Sometimes the easy path is actually more profitable, and that is what makes it attractive.

Money, like winning, can cover up a lot of flaws. I’ve never had a lot of money, although I’ve had opportunities and situations where I was financially better-off than a lot of people. Not sure I was always happier then, however.

That’s the good news. I understand that being happy is about feeling right about your place in life. Money’s never been a huge motivating force for me. I’ve always wanted to spend my time in pursuits that were intellectually stimulating – fun, even. If I had to choose between rich and miserable or live paycheck-to-paycheck and have fun, I’d choose the latter every time. Life is too short. Would I love to tour the world, always set my own schedule, never worry about paying my bills? Of course. But those things aren’t going to be what you remember in your last days.

You’ve probably heard it before: No one ever looks back on their life and says “I wish I had worked more.”

I also applied for a Night City Editor job at the SF Examiner. I still think my future could be out west. I had hoped to apply for five or six jobs today but this is really work! M and I talked about it… to set yourself apart now, you really have to get in there and pitch. So you’ve got to tailor your effort to the needs of each customer. One cover letter template won’t work. You’ve got to personalize it. So me being me, I tend to get in there and try and find the exact right combination.

We’ll see how that works out. So far, not so much.

Today's timesheet: 6.5 hours.
Researching jobs/prospects: 3 hours.
Jobs applied for: 2 -- campaign worker for Obama For America, Chicago; Night City Editor, SF Examiner.
Other productive activities: Another CD review, "The Bends." It's good to dust off my writing skills.
Nonproductive activities: Web time suckage, 1 hour. Shockingly small.
Song for today: "Kid Charlemagne" by Steely Dan. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylr2D4Pwn58

No comments:

Post a Comment