Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Day 41: Fight On

Had a lot of reasons to put a fork in this day. Didn't. That's gotta count for something, right?

Last night was a splurge. You can only take so much of the straight and narrow. So, first caught a movie, Bad Teacher. It was a lot better than I expected and after many years of resistance, I now give in and grudgingly give Cameron Diaz some credit. Never dug her, but she won me over with this. Anyway. After, we hit Farrell's. They were closing the kitchen early so the intake would be strictly liquid.

I asked the bartender for "something vicious." Her definition of that was the dreaded Long Island Iced Tea. I nursed that as long as I could in the interests of self-preservation.

Alcohol and me, we no frenz.

I didn't sleep well last night. Too hot. And also had read some distressing studies yesterday afternoon attesting to long-term unemployment. It rattled me pretty hard. So sometime around 4 a.m. I relocated to cooler confines downstairs. About the time I started to feel like I might fall asleep, the sky began to lighten. Lovely.

I finally got to sleep about 6:30 a.m. but it was fitful. Then when I woke up about 10:30, I felt sick to my stomach. It was not a pleasant start to the day.

Nevertheless, I got a job lead that might be promising. I've been transparent on these but right now I'm going to change that tack a bit. Sometimes if something doesn't work, you need to change the approach. Mentally it makes you feel like you're not stagnating even if it really has little to do with the success or non-success of the endeavor.

Example: I decided to grow a "playoff beard" when I got laid off. Like hockey players during the playoffs, the idea was not shaving until the mission was complete. I was going to go hairy until I got a job.

I gave that about 4 weeks. By then I felt like a roadie for BTO so something had to give.

Job related: Got an e-mail last night about the situation at WWU. It was a classy, personal note from the J Dept. Made me want it even more, but they don't have the funding. No one is unhurt by this crappy economy.

This is a rambler of a note. Most of my focus today has been on chasing these two particular gigs.

I'm counting on an earlier start Wednesday. Wish me luck. And thanks for stopping by.


Today's timesheet: 6.5 hours.
Researching jobs/prospects: 5.5 hours.
Jobs applied for: 2 -- Couple of WashCo gigs.
Other productive activities: Not yet, but tonight's agenda includes such thrilling items as vacuuming dog hair, doing laundry and taking out the trash. Exclamation Points!!!
Nonproductive activities: Web time suckage, 1 hour. Although pre-dawn I somehow got very interested in reading about the Columbia Shuttle disaster.
Song for today: "Everlasting Light" by The Black Keys. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZmG5_ObaNo&feature=related

1 comment: