Saturday, July 23, 2011

Day 66: Waste

Amy Winehouse is dead, the newest member of the 27 Club. Those coincidences are pretty weird.

Listen, while I was never in Winehouse's class of being ripped, I've had a few crazy nights over the years. At any point you can be unlucky... perhaps you get into that car with the person who might seem OK but is actually not. Perhaps you're the innocent late-night driver who meets the impaired driver at the wrong time. There's no excusing it or explaining it. It's wrong, and it's criminal.

I'm a long-time believer in individual freedoms: if you want to be a druggie or a drunk, that's your right as long as you don't hurt anyone else. I'm not mad at Amy Winehouse for killing herself, if that indeed is how this turns out (and I think we all feel pretty strongly that there can be no other method here than substance abuse). I'm mad at her because she had something that appealed to a lot of people, and now it's over.

No comments:

Post a Comment