Thursday, August 25, 2011

Day 99, Pt. II: Philosophy

One thing that I'm doing this go-round of joblessness is I'm making sure that the potential marriage is a good fit.

What I mean by that is, I've had jobs where I knew going on there were some issues. I think this happens to a lot of us a lot of times, but the people I like to hang with go about their business and figure "I'll be a professional, work as hard as I can, do what seems to be in the best interests of the company, and let the BS fall to the side."

That's the way things should be.

I've worked places now that had very questionable business policies. One place basically told me that saving money cost money. One place was so driven by non-business-related policies that I don't even include them on my resume any more. They've run afoul of the government since I was there.

Thing is... some of these places are bad fits for your personal values. The values I have in my life preclude me from working in certain places. It's like an infidel trying to take a job at Al Qaida. Not gonna work. Unless your job is "target."

So now I'm only applying to places that have a great personality fit with me. That limits me to some extent. I could probably get a job in retail or some such. But that's not who I am. I hate selling. I tried it, very briefly, and it's just not something I like or am particularly good at. Why waste everyone's time?

I suppose if things get more dire, I may have to reconsider this.

My job interview from last Friday that I aced, I may have said, has not contacted me. Which means I am almost dead certain that I am out. I was pretty bummed about it, but today I'm resigned to it. If the girl doesn't love you, why do you want to love her?

I'm done with one-sided relationships. And that's driving my application approach. I think it's the right way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment